10 Interesting Chocolate Facts You May Not Know
While there are many facts about chocolate alone, as it dates back to 1000 B.C.
1. The word “chocolate” comes from the Aztec word, “Xocolatl”, which ironically means “bitter water”.
2. The biggest bar of chocolate ever made was created in 2000 and weighed 5,000 pounds. Turin is the city in Italy that can be proud of this accomplishment.
3. Americans eat an average of 22 pounds of candy each year, or approximately 2.8 billion pounds annually which is split almost equally between chocolate and candy. Most Europeans consume far less than this.
4. While the US produces the most chocolate and consume the most pounds every year, the Swiss consume the most per capita, followed closely by the English.
5. Besides the obvious cheese and ice cream industries, American chocolate manufacturers use about 1.5 billion pounds of milk and consume approximately 3.5 million pounds of whole milk yearly.
6. Chocolate manufacturers currently use 40% of the world’s almonds and 20% of the world’s peanuts.
7. Chocolate is technically responsible for the microwave. Scientists were experimenting with micro waves in hopes of creating better radar detectors and in the wake of World War II, scientists were testing devices called magnetrons. A scientist named Percy Spencer entered the lab with a chocolate bar in his pocket and realized it quickly began to melt. Spencer then realized that the magnetron could potentially be used to cook food. He successfully tried popping corn and then attempted to cook an egg which cooked so quickly, it blew up in his face.
8. Every Russian and American space voyage has included chocolate bars.
9. On the fourth visit of Christopher Columbus to the Americas, he presented cocoa beans to the Spanish Court. King Ferdinand and Queen Isabelle were not impressed and dismissed the chocolate as bizarre tribal concoctions.
10. Chocolate decreases stroke risk
11. Chocolate reduces the likelihood of a heart attack
12. Chocolate protects against blood inflammation
13. Chocolate may prevent cancer
14. Chocolate reduces the risk of diabetes
15. Chocolate is good for your skin
16. Chocolate can control coughs
17. Chocolate improves blood flow
18. Chocolate strengthens your brain
19. Chocolate makes you live longer